Wednesday 1 October 2014

If you cant Stoptober, Stopsomethingelse - updated!

Stop smoking for 28 days and you’re 5 times more likely to stop for good’ is the slogan for this year’s drive to help people quit smoking. And we also have ‘Go Sober for October’ for an alcohol equivalent. Both superb schemes of course, so check out the websites below for more info:



But this blog is going to borrow with pride and play on words a bit, because I’m adopting my own personal version of Stoptober. This summer’s Ice Bucket Challenge ultimately helped a variety of charities in addition to the original cause intended, so why not adapt Stoptober to cease something specific in YOUR world for a month.

To this end I am going to resolve to stop shouting at my 2 year old daughter for October.

Already this makes me sound like nasty daddy!
Hopefully I'm not!

The shouting isn't even that common, but she is very mischievous and cheeky (obviously incredibly common amongst 2 year old children) and the older I've got the less patient I've annoyingly become. I never shouted at my son when he was of similar age, but maybe the 10 year age gap between them is key here. It could be that I'm just older and grouchier than I was aged 28? I’m definitely more tired (cue laughter from my wife who gets up earlier than I do every day…)

Most Daddies’ would hopefully concur with the fact that “I couldn't love her anymore if I tried”… and telling her off in such a shouty manner is something that feels immediately heartbreaking once done. So I need to find another way to responsibly admonish, without feeling the guilt.

Of course this won’t be a seizure of all chastisement… but a calmer voice will be present for a month, in a bid to keep it that way forever.
Known for having a bit of a short temper, I’ve worked hard at toning it down over the duration of this year – successfully I think – so where better to round off my anger management by doing this surely easily achievable thing for my little girl?
And it’s ultimately because I want to be remembered for big love rather than a big voice.

Update!
So it's the end of the month and how did we all get on?
Hopefully successfully, whatever it was that you attempted to stop!

I have to be honest and say that I didn't quite get through the entire month without raising my voice - in fact I reckon I slipped up twice...but the change of tack definitely improved how I handled things. And long may it continue XxX

No comments:

Post a Comment